Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gluten Free Dinner Clubs - what's with the 'add on' dishes?

I thought the whole point of a Dinner Group was go to a restaurant with gluten-free options and eat a safe meal off of their current menu. Lately it seems that the restaurants are offering more and more 'add on' main dishes and appetizers that are only available for that particular meal. While this is a nice concept, I find it annoying. I usually find myself liking that 'add on' dish and I am frustrated that I will never be able to get it again.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to get diners to use their current menu options? I would encourage the organizers of these groups to dissuade restaurant owners from 'add on' dishes (unless it is dessert) and encourage them to create a 'set' gluten-free menu(if they don't have one). Having a set menu not only makes it easier for diners to order on a daily basis, but it promotes a sense of confidence in the gluten-free diner that these 'set' dishes can be prepared safely.

I applaud the efforts of the volunteers who organize these groups all over the United States. I myself am the volunteer board member for the Atlanta Metro Celiacs, so I don't mean to complain, rather offer advice from the perspective of the gluten-free diner.

Keep up the good work and keep it simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment